Juriss House, Second Avenue. Stanley Bay. Auckland
Designed in 1954 by Ivan Juriss, on a sloping triangular waterfront property, the house is rectangular in plan, approximately 1000 sq/ft, the long front side facing the Bayswater peninsular, with views across to the harbour and bridge. Set between mature Pohutakawa trees, the house is dappled in its seclusion.
Entry from Second Avenue reveals a wall of double glass windows, frosted reinforced mesh at the bottom, clear hinged awning at the top, an entry porch almost centrally placed- all topped by unpainted grey ‘super-six’ corrugated fibrolite. Above (along the ridge) a row of narrow clerestory windows run the length of the house, which sits nestled within a lush garden and many trees. The two end walls of the house are a mixture of glass, cedar board and batten and painted fibrolite panels screwed to the framing. Doors at these ends of the house lead on to a deck which elevates out towards the harbour view, surrounding the three sides of the house. Large sliding doors made of three horizontal glass panels give access from the lounge and dining area. In the living area open to the light and view, the Jarrah beams float from outer wall to the hallway at a 15 degree angle, focusing the room towards the play of light off the bay, a room in little need of curtains.
The Juriss house in Stanley Point is a decidedly different house to the delicate and elegantly structured Mann house (Violet Ave, Mount Albert. 1960) or even the Worrall house further along Stanley Point. The interior space is still quintessentially 1950’s in design; small bedrooms, small kitchen and open plan living areas amassed under sloping Jarrah beams. It is also, with a little alteration, still a joy to live in, bringing together the different elements in architecture of that time with a personal ambience – offering a feeling of warmth and protection which the best examples of various cultures construction, also demonstrate. The minimal pitch of the roof and simple layout of elements speak of easy shelter and relaxed life beside a sub-tropical bay.
The street side door which one enters through the garden opens to a small hall between the bedrooms. Ahead, an almost transparent hallway, with large panels of canework either side hint at the open plan living-room which takes up most of the houses front section. To the left are the kitchen and bathroom amenities and to the right bedrooms, all which are easily accessed from the large living area.
to be continued: photo’s and further text being loaded. (Ed)
Mann House – (1960) Ivan Juriss (Wilson Juriss Architects)