(1886 – 1957) – Auckland architect who worked for a time in Edwin Lutyen’s office before returning to New Zealand. Generally designed large ‘Arts and Crafts’ homes for wealthy Auckland families in the years between the end of World War One and 1926 when he left the country after a dispute over costs involving the Hellaby house in Remuera. He disliked the Californian Bungalow and advocated following in the English tradition of architecture. Houses of note include ‘Cranston house’ (1916) ‘Awatea’(1922) and ‘Mill house’ (1926). The Mill house in Upland Rd was designed for the founder of a local aviation company and importer of De Havilland planes.